Isn’t this bowl just the cutest! But I don’t love the price tag! Air dry clay is all the rage right now, and I figured we could make this high end clay bowl pretty easily, at a fraction of the price! Just follow these simple directions on how to make a clay bowl.
Crayola air dry clay
Glass or plastic bowl bigger than the size of clay bowl you want to make
1)Tape a piece of parchment paper down on your surface with painter’s tape.
2)Take out about half of the clay and form it into a ball
3) Roll the clay out with a rolling pin to about 1/8″ thick, and a little larger than the circumference of the bowl
4) Turn the bowl upside down and place it centered onto the rolled out clay.
5) Trim around the circumference of the bowl. Place the excess clay back into the container to use later on dots, or another project, if desired.
6) Place the clay in the center of the bowl. Press the clay down lightly all around the bowl. Set bowl aside to dry. leaving the clay inside it. The container says that drying time takes 2-3 days, however mine took about a week. The clay will be completely white when dry, and will start to separate from the bowl. If any cracks appear during the drying process, simply seal them up with a wet finger. Gently remove the dried clay bowl from your bowl. Mine came right out.
7) When your bowl is completely dry, you can make the dots, or pom-poms. Roll a chunk of clay into a snake.
8) Slice the clay up into even sections.
9) Roll up the chunks to form the pom-poms, or dots.
10) Place the dots along the edge of the bowl where you want them. Once you are happy with the placement, gently press down to seal them to the edge of the bowl. If they happen to fall off during the drying process, just glue them back down with a spot of strong glue, or hot glue.
That’s all there is to make this high end looking clay bowl! You could spray paint it a high gloss white, or matte cream, or whatever you wish, or just leave it like it is to look more earthen.
Faith and Farmhouse is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
And since you probably have leftover clay, here’s some more ideas to get a high end look for less!
Look at this beautiful wood looking chain by Lucy at Craftberry Bush!
Do you want another project to make that’s a high end look for less?
This beautiful thrift store lamp
How fun do these 10 air dry clay crafts look! Be sure to check out their whole website! It’s colorful and happy with lots to do with the kids!
Here’s some fun projects just for the kids!
The sky is the limit with what you can create with air dry clay! This bowl is just the beginning! If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could do a stamp design in the clay, or even a monogram! I can’t wait to hear about all the things you are going to create!
Heidi | The Frugal Girls says
you’ve really made the steps so easy to follow in your wonderful craft tutorial. And why have I not heard of air dry clay before, this is such a fabulous crafting product!
Oh thank you, Heidi! Watch out-you will be addicted! It’s so much fun, like Play-Dough for grown ups! And the kids would love it, too!
This is such a fun idea – my kids would absolutely love making this. I will bookmark this for the next school holidays – I will need help! Thank you for sharing 🙂
Thanks so much, Katrina! Yes, I think kids would have a lot of fun with this! It’s like Play-Dough, but it will dry into a lasting object that they created!
Esther Webster says
I love all your craft ideas Danielle! What a neat product too! Ive never seen it before!
Thank you, Esther! Yes, it’s so fun! Just like Play-Dough fur grown-ups!